Thursday, July 14, 2011

Top End Rebuild - Day 27

Although not strictly Day 27 - I did work on the car a few times since Day 26 but didn't bother logging it, as it was less than an hour each time. Anyhow. I got her started today! Four months worth of work is coming to a close. Feels amazing to hear the engine running so sweet. Does wonders to one's ego. How many people can say they've rebuilt a V8 Mercedes engine. Definitely an elite club.


Lubed up the cams one last time before putting down the cam covers to fit the fuel lines and ignition wires. That RedLine Assembly lube is amazing. Even after running the engine, I can see it has built up a film on the cam lobes.

Pressurised the fuel system first to check for leaks. And lo and behold I had a few leaks. I forgot to tighten one of the lines on the pressure regulator and the cold start injector. Good thing I checked for leaks before starting the engine. At 90psi, you don't mess with petrol.

After tightening those two lines I tried to start it. Just cranked without firing. Moved the distributor cap all the way anti-clockwise (timing advance) and then it started. I haven't bolted the downpipe to the manifold yet so it sounded mean! I spilled some oil on the right exhaust manifold when filling the engine oil so there was quite a bit of smoke as it burnt off.

Eventually the smoke cleared, the engine warmed up and it gave me a chance to set the ignition timing. Got it as close as possible by ear. Will probably need to go in with a timing light and make the final adjustment but its pretty good right now. Checked for leaks. All looks good. But won't really know for sure until I take it out of the garage during daylight (I got it started at 11pm).

Used a new filter and some CanadianTire brand Formula 1 10w30 for the first start. Will run it like this for a day or two and then replace the filter and oil with Castrol GTX 20w50.

As far as engine work goes, I only really have the following 3 things to do:
- Bolt up the remaining exhaust system
- Change oil and filter
- Replace distributor cap and rotor (the rotor was pretty done actually)

2 comments:

  1. Why are you using such a high-viscosity oil? Your engine is not that worn out to be using 20W50...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only drive the car in the summer, and if you look up the oil viscosity table in the workshop manual for the m117-5.6L, that's what Mercedes recommends.

    I switched to Joe Gibbs HR1 10w40.

    ReplyDelete