Sunday, September 4, 2011

First long-distance trip after rebuild

Drove Ottawa -> Toronto -> Ottawa to drop off my sister at School.


Distance = 830km (500 miles)
Avg. Speed = 134km/h (80mph)
Fuel economy = 110litres (29 us.gallons) = 7.5km/litre (17.5mpg)

Distance and Speed taken from the GPS and fuel usage taken from the gas pump readings. Air fuel mixture was set using an exhaust gas analyser and compression check after the rebuild showed 180psi +/- 5psi on all cylinders.

Kept the economy gauge in the black 80% of the time. Car was fully loaded on the way there. And empty on the way back. A/C was on all the time.

I bet I could get 20+mpg if I hypermile'd it.

The SLS really shines when there is some weight in the back. It felt firm, responsive and very comfortable. But the front suspension was waaay too soft. Need to stiffen things up front.

The 560SEL is in a league of its own when it comes to chewing up highway miles. After 8hours of driving, I felt like I could do it all over again.

I came across this saying in a Craigslist advertisement (of all places!),

"Those in the know, drive Mercedes. Those who know Mercedes, drive w126."

Couldn't agree more.

No comments:

Post a Comment