Friday, June 4, 2010

1989 Mercedes-Benz 560SEL

The W126, the most successful Mercedes-Benz S-Class in history. In the 1980s, it was the de-facto luxury saloon of choice for every drug dealer to prime minister around the world. Anyone who was anyone had one, from Saddam Hussein to George H.W Bush.

The 5.6L single overhead cam V8 propels the 5,000+lb car effortlessly
to 100kmph in just 7.2s. Rear passengers float on a self-levelling suspension unfettered by the chaos of the outside world.

After many years of searching for a good clean example in Ottawa, I finally gave up and started looking at importing one from the U.S. To cut a long story short, I did something I thought I'd never have done in a million years - buy a car from Ebay! A 1989 560SEL, midnight blue on java leather, with only 60k miles :)

My V8 Bruiser Benz left Gainesville, Georgia today, shipping by Dependable Auto Shippers (DAS) to a terminal in Ottawa. I should get it in a couple of weeks. The car hasn't been driven for the last two years and will likely need all the fluids and filters changed immediately, but the the notorious timing chain can wait another 40k miles !!!








Here are a few photos from the Ebay listing.

















Unfortunately being a North American car, it has been hit badly by the ugly stick. Hideous oversized bumpers, plastic lens headlights, pin stripes and chrome rims were the norm. My only consolation is that my car doesn't have the chrome rims, and the fact that these cars can be converted to their "original" condition without too much effort.

I like to keep things original as far as possible. I even don't mind that horrible Becker radio, but those bumpers and lights would have to be changed on my car one day. Perhaps some AMG O.Z Racing wheels too and stainless exhaust? Well that'll have to be for another year anyways. Until then I'll just oogle the AMG.

No comments:

Post a Comment