Sunday, April 24, 2011

Top End Rebuild - Day 9

Finally got that last bolt off. Used a 1/2" drive, with a 12" extension, with an adapter to 3/8", a 6" extension and then finally the 13mm socket on the end. The conversion to 3/8" was to give the joint a little play to wrap around the collector. It didn't go on perfectly flat onto the bolt head, but I managed to get it off. Very lucky, because if it was ever so slightly seized, I would have stripped the head off the bolt.

Found a 27mm socket in the basement from a very old tool box my father bought many lifetimes ago. Everyone kept saying that you need a 2ft breaker bar, but I turned the engine with ease using just a 1/2" drive wrench.

The engine was 5deg off when the marks on the cam lined up. I think that is a given. Thus the chain is perfect, but I will be changing it anyway to save any heartache in the near future. Not sure if I'm going to roll in another chain, or if I'm going to take the timing cover off. Apparently, if you take the timing cover off, you cannot put it back on, without damaging the sump gasket. Anyways, that's something to figure out later.

I noticed that the cam lobes have started rusting. Must have had the cam covers off for only a week. Not sure if this is serious or not. I sprayed the valve train with WD40 (EDIT: Apparently WD40 is a big NO NO!) to stop it from rusting further. Some advice on this would be appreciated.

Waiting for the dog-leg hex socket to remove the heads. I think I'm about 40% through with the rebuild. Haven't removed the P/S pump yet. Going to take the passenger's side head off first.

































I was so pleased with myself after getting the exhaust off that I even cleared the table and swept the garage.






No comments:

Post a Comment