Saturday, May 7, 2011

Top End Rebuild - Day 11

Spent about 3hrs on the car today. The weather has made things progress very slowly. But today saw some decent progress.

I was struggling to figure out how to get head bolt #17 and #18 out. There was not enough space to fit a wrench in with the firewall in place. But then I found out on benzworld that the secondary firewall is simply screwed into the car and that it is easily removable. After taking out 5 screws and a little fettling, the secondary firewall was removed. Removing the head bolts was pretty easy after that. I removed all 18 of them on the passenger's side.

When taking out the guide rail pins, the bottom pin came out nicely, but my bolt/"puller" snapped inside and now I can't remove the upper pin. I'm going to have to disjoin the chain and then have the machine shop deal with that pin. Annoying.

When taking out the last head bolt (#1), you could hear the head releasing. I lifted it a little to break it loose and a bit of water poured out. I think this is because I didn't drain the crankcase first. Anyhow, one head is almost ready to come off. Placed an order with MB for the new head bolts and tensioner. The tensioner and some of the head bolts were back order. Not sure how long it'll take to arrive. Going to buy an OEM chain and oiler tube clips separately.
































No comments:

Post a Comment