Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Top End Rebuild - Day 20

Torqued down the driver's side head today. Did the 1st and 2nd stages. The 3rd stage calls for a 10min settling time and retorque to 60Nm. Going to do that some other time. Probably when I've put on the other head.

With 18 bolts a side, and having to change attachments for each bolt, this becomes really laborious. For bolt #17 and #18 I had to use a little bendy piece to get the wrench to fit without hitting the firewall. Used my new Armstrong 64-085 1/2" drive torque wrench. Rated from 10lb.ft to 150lb.ft. Accurate to 3%. I set it to 44lb.ft (59.7Nm) to do the 60Nm stage.

I was really worried about stripping the threads in the block. But all went OK with stages 1 and 2 so I'm not worried about the stage 3 retorque.









1 comment:

  1. What is the torque for stage 3? 60nm really isn't that much. As long as you aren't some ham-fisted moron I think you shouldn't have to worry about stripping the threads. By the way, love following your progress.

    foolio2@benzworld

    ReplyDelete