Friday, June 17, 2011

Top End Rebuild - Day 21

Another 2hrs today and the passenger's side head is on. This time it went on neatly. Noticed that one of my new head bolts (the qty 18) had bad threads. I'm thinking of re-using one of the old head bolts. I can't see any differences in size. But the shank design is slightly different between the new and the old bolt. Should I wait and re-order a new bolt? Or should I just use one of the old ones? Leave a comment. I'm going to torque the head down tomorrow.

I also fit the guide rails on the driver's side. I put some copper grease on the pins so they don't seize up like before. But it really took some hammering to get those guys in. I used an old exhaust manifold gasket to protect the pin and knocked them in with a hammer. What's the proper procedure for this job? I can't get them to go in any further using this technique. I might hit the cylinder head with the hammer this way.









No comments:

Post a Comment